HealthLifestyleLocalNews Dominica to introduce action plan to prevent cholera by: – June 27, 2011 Share Sharing is caring! 29 Views no discussions Share Share Chief Medical Officer, Dr. David Johnson. Photo credit: GIS NewsDominica is to introduce a plan of action to prevent the entry of cholera in the country.Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Johnson said his ministry is being proactive and will finalize a plan of action at a workshop in July.“We have no cases on the island but we are not sitting back and thinking it’s not a possibility. We are currently planning a workshop to develop a plan of action just in case it were to arrive in Dominica,” he said.According to Dr, Johnson, the Ministry of Health is also addressing several other issues relating to diseases on the island.Dominica Vibes News Tweet
RelatedPosts No directive to constitute disciplinary committee against us — Ojudu, others ‘Army Officer’ in EFCC net for alleged multiple fraud COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Roger Federer has confirmed he will miss a number of tournaments, including the French Open in May, after undergoing knee surgery in Switzerland on Wednesday. The 20-times Grand Slam champion had been struggling with injury at the Australian Open, where he lost at the semi-final stage to eventual champion Novak Djokovic and has not played competitively, since. Federer, 38, said he would also miss ATP tournaments in Dubai, Indian Wells, Bogota and Miami. “My right knee has been bothering me for a little while. I hoped it would go away, but after an examination and discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery in Switzerland yesterday,’”Federer said in a statement on Twitter. “After the procedure, the doctors confirmed that it was the right thing to have done and are very confident of a full recovery. “I am grateful for everyone’s support. I can’t wait to be back playing again soon, see you on the grass!” The Swiss skipped the entire claycourt season in 2017 and 2018 and last year played only two tournaments on the surface before arriving in Paris for the French Open. His agent told Reuters last week that Federer was planning on playing only at Roland Garros while skipping the Madrid and Rome Masters.
Shane Long will complete the perfect week when he leads Ireland out for Sunday’s friendly against Georgia. The 26-year-old West Brom striker has been handed the captain’s armband for what will be his 36th senior appearance for his country with manager Giovanni Trapattoni fielding a much-changed side. Long’s honour comes just days after he gave Ireland a dream lead against England at Wembley, and he said: “I didn’t think the week could get any better after Wednesday night.” Long added: “It was obviously a great thing for me to score at Wembley, but I think the biggest honour you can get is to captain your country and I was delighted to get the nod from the gaffer.” Long was only informed of his elevation after training in Malahide on Saturday morning when Trapattoni called him to one side. He said: “The boss kept the team close to his chest. He asked how many caps I had – and I might have exaggerated a little bit. But he told me I was the most-capped player and he me wanted to lead the team out tomorrow, and obviously it is a personal highlight for me.” It will be the first time Long has captained a senior team, although he had plenty of experience as both a footballer and a hurler during his younger days. He said: “It’s the first time I have been captain in my senior career, so I am really excited. In underage football, I got the captaincy quite a bit, but I have always been the young one in every squad so far, so it’s nice to get the nod.” Trapattoni opted for Long as his captain after confirming his progression from young to senior player, something which came as a surprise to the frontman. “It kind of came up fairly quickly on me. I have been in the squad a long time, I suppose, I have been with the lads a long time,” Long added. “I always dreamt of this day coming, so I am delighted it’s finally here. Normally, I’m fairly quiet on the pitch, but I think tomorrow will be different and I will be trying to help out the team as best I can.” Press Association
– tournament to be a huge hit, says JohnIN what is sure to be a battle of softball talent, the first ever Prime Minister’s T20 Softball Cup is set to bowls off tomorrow at several grounds in Georgetown.Sixteen teams, in two categories are lined up to battle it out for top honours over the next three days, as cricket enthusiasts will definitely see softball in a new dispensation.Regal, one of the country’s leading softball teams, is being placed in Group A with Farm, De Hoop and Speedboat XI for the Open Category. In Group B, Success, Hill Foot Warriors and Spartans will collide, while Group C will see Mafia XI, Boots XI and SVC Enforcers.In the Masters Category, Amazon Masters, Regal Masters and New York Hustlers will form Group A, while Group B will have HS Masters, Tropical Springs and Enterprise Masters.Meanwhile, in an invited comment yesterday, President of the Georgetown Softball Cricket League Inc. (GSCL Inc.) Ian John, said that a competitive three days of cricket is in the making, adding that all logistics are in place for a successful tournament.“This will definitely be an exciting and challenging competition. Softball cricket has become so popular and competitive over the years; so definitely this will be an exciting tournament,” John expressed.Everest Cricket Club ground will host the finals on October 29, when $600 000 will be up for grabs in the Open category, while the Masters will vie for the winners’ purse of $500 000. Both categories will have a runners-up prize of $100,000 as well as trophies.Lighted bails will be used in the competition and added entertainment will be provided by the Crossover band and cheerleaders during the finals.The tournament is being played in collaboration with the National Sports Commission.