first_img(REUTERS) Novak Djokovic made an immense statement in his bid to rule men’s tennis again when he defeated Andy Murray, the man who deposed him as world number one, 6-3 5-7 6-4 in an epic Qatar Open final in Doha yesterday.Looking back to near his peerless best at times in a game of searing quality, the Serbian missed out on three match points and had to repel a roaring Murray comeback before ending the Briton’s 28-match, five-tournament winning streak.In their first meeting since Murray won their season-ending climax at the ATP World Tour finals, the Briton ran into a rejuvenated Djokovic who, despite having problems with his racket hand and receiving two warnings for his behaviour, prevailed thrillingly in their 36th contest.The world number two said it was “the dream start” to 2017 in his build-up to the defence of the Australian Open title later this month and defeat provided food for thought for Murray, who lost for the 25th time against his old rival.“It was close, a very physical battle. All the way to the last shot, you never know with Andy. It’s no strange occurrence for us to play three sets for three hours,” Djokovic told Eurosport.“It means a lot. For the last three months of 2016, I haven’t felt that confident on court and didn’t play that consistent. But to start 2017 with a win over the world number one and my biggest rival was a dream start so I’m hoping I can get the best out of it.”Djokovic had looked out of sorts as he struggled to tame Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in Friday’s semi-final and he started inconsistently again, also requiring treatment to a bleeding right thumb in the third game.Yet Djokovic began playing with an authority that he had not displayed all week and was so frustrated after losing one 29-shot rally that he was warned for hitting the ball away petulantly towards his box.Still, he pressurised Murray, making his breakthrough in the eighth game as the Scot surrendered the crucial break with a mis-hit forehand.When Djokovic cashed in on a sloppy service game, in which Murray delivered two double faults, to take a crucial 4-3 lead in the second set, he looked unstoppable.He seemed certain to wrap up the victory serving at 5-4 but a couple of missed backhands and courageous aggression from Murray led to him missing out on his three match points. The Briton pounced to break serve — a feat he has now achieved in an impressive 112 successive matches.Djokovic received a point penalty for smashing his racket which handed the 11th game to Murray and the Scot rammed home his ascendancy by breaking again to take the second set.Yet just when Murray seemed to be taking control physically, with Djokovic looking increasingly weary, the Serbian produced an inspirational game to break to love at 3-3.When he served for the match again, he made no mistake, crashing a forehand winner to seal victory.last_img read more

first_imgMeddie Kagere, Geoffrey Walusimbi, George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo, Joachim Oluoch and Bernard Ondiek scored for Gor while AFC’s Ezekiel Odera, Baker Lukooya, Duncan Otieno and Robinson Kamura converted theirs.It wasn’t a pleasant start to new AFC head coach Radolfo Zapata who was making his first appearance on the dug out on a day that also happened to be his birthday.Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr made a complete overhaul of the squad that played in Sunday’s 2-2 draw against Mathare United in Machakos with shot-stopper Boniface Oluoch returning to the starting team and donning the skipper’s armband.Walusimbi also made his first start for Gor since February’s CAF Champions League tie against Esperance in Machakos.In his first match in charge, Ingwe’s new coach Zapata fielded his strongest team but made changes in the goalkeeping department with younster Ezekiel Owade making his first start since making the switch from Nakumatt.Gor Mahia FC players jam keeper Shabaan Odhoji celebrating his penalty save as they beat AFC Leopards 5-4 on penalties in the Hull City play off match in Nakuru on May 1Jairus Adira, who has been error prone over the last few matches, was left out of the team while Gabriel Andika made the substitutes bench.It was Ingwe who started faster off the blocks and within the first minute of the game, Vincent Oburu surged forward from the left and into the box but his shot at goal was blocked by Charles Momanyi.On the other end, Charles Momanyi had a great chance when an in-swinging freekick delivered from the left by Walusimbi found him unmarked at the far post but he could not direct his header on target.In the 10th minute, an error from Robinson Kamura almost gifted Gor the lead when the defender’s miscued clearance was contested and won by Ephraim Guikan who headed it to Lawrence Juma, but the midfielder’s shot went inches over.Gor continued to dominate in terms of chances and three minutes later, Kevin ‘Ade’ Omondi was set up by Juma, but his first time curling shot went straight to keeper Owade.AFC were forced into an early sub when left-back Isaac Oduro limped off injured after a collision with Omondi and was replaced by Moses Mburu.Gor Mahia’s Kevin Omondi vies for the ball with AFC Leopards’ Duncan Otieno dueing their Hull City play-off match in Nakuru on May 1. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluZapata’s charges settled into the game but they couldn’t crack the Gor defense, the tact of using Brian Marita and Oburu’s speed on the wings not working to prescription.Late on, Gor had another chance with Juma’s freekick from the right being punched away by Owade who was the busiest of the two keepers.A lapse in concentration in the Gor defense almost saw AFC start the second half with a goal when they assumed a dipping freekick from the right but Robinson Kamura followed through and back-heeled back into the area, but Ezekiel Odera’s effort was blocked by Oluoch.AFC started the second period better but in the 55th minute they were almost caught on the counter.Gor Mahia midfielder Cersidy Okeyo attempts to go past AFC Leopards’ Duncan Otieno during their Hull City challenge match at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on May 1, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluA misplaced pass from Oburu to Mburu saw Juma win the ball and spread to Guikan in the middle of the pack. The Ivorian had a good touch on the turn but his final pass to a rushing Omondi was poor.Ingwe made their first chance after 20 minutes, Brin Marita coming off for Baker Lukooya. Gor responded with a twin change, Meddie Kagere and Jack Tuyisenge coming on for Omondi and Guikan.Later on, George Odhiambo was also introduced for Boniface Omondi as Gor went full throttle on attack. However, the pace of the game was hugely pedestrian and no meaningful chances were created.At the death though, Kagere almost won it for Gor with a shot at the near post but Owade made a brilliant one handed save to turn the ball behind for a corner.With the penalties beckoning, Kerr made his final change, goalkeeper Oluoch coming off for Shabaan Odhoji.k0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor Mahia players celebrate with a Hull City jersey after beating AFC Leopards in the play off on May 1 in Nakuru. K’Ogalo will play the Championship side in a friendly match on May 13NAKURU, Kenya, May 1- Vincent Oburu rocketed his penalty high in the sky as AFC Leopards lost to Gor Mahia 5-4 on post-match penalties, K’Ogalo booking a date with English Championship side Hull City in a friendly match on May 13 in Nairobi.The game had been tied at 0-0 in regular time and headed straight to penalties. The first five ended 4-4 after Gor substitute keeper, Shabaan Odhoji had saved from Whyvonne Isuza while Jack Tuyisenge saw his penalty go high over.last_img read more

Gopalganj road crash death toll rises to 8

first_imgRoad Accident logoEight people were killed and 23 others injured in a road accident at Biswambordi on Dhaka-Khulna highway in Muksudpur upazila in Gopalganj early Sunday, reports UNB.Four of the deceased are Asim Majhi, 32, hailing from Jhalakathi, Hasan, 25, hailing from Barguna, Dipan Biswas, 18, son of Makhan Biswas, a resident of Bagda in Barisal and Nazir Gazi, 35, hailing from Amtoli in Barisal.Sindhiaghat police investigation centre sub-inspector Mohidul Islam said a Barisal-bound bus of Sugandha Paribahan coming from Dhaka plunged into a roadside ditch as its driver lost control over the steering in the area around 2:30am, leaving six people dead on the spot and 25 others injured.On information, highway police, firefighters rushed to the spot and were conducting rescue operations, he added.The injured were sent to different hospitals, including Faridpur Medical College Hospital (FMCH).Later, another injured died on the way to the FMCH while Dipan Biswas succumbed to his injuries at the hospital around 8am, said Ejajul Islam, officer-in-charge of Bhanga police station.The bodies were taken to Bhanga police station in Faridpur as it is the nearby police station from the accident spot, adds UNB Faridpur correspondent.last_img read more

Cyber security researcher withdraws public talk on hacking Apples Face ID from

first_imgA China-based cyber security researcher, Wish Wu, canceled his briefing on how he could crack biometric facial recognition on Apple Inc iPhones to be held at the Black Hat Asia hacking conference 2019. In a message to Reuters on Twitter, Wu said that his talk entitled ‘Bypass Strong Face ID: Everyone Can Deceive Depth and IR Camera and Algorithms’ was called as ‘misleading’ by his employer, and he was requested to withdraw his briefing from Black Hat- one of the most prestigious cybersecurity conferences- to be held at Singapore this year. In late December, Black Hat withdrew an abstract of the talk from their website after Wu’s employer- Ant Financial- uncovered problems with the research. The abstract stated that Face ID could be hacked with an image printed on an ordinary black-and-white printer and some tape. Ant Financial said in a statement that “’The research on the face ID verification mechanism is incomplete and would be misleading if presented”. Wu told Reuters that ‘In order to ensure the credibility and maturity of the research results, we decided to cancel the speech’. He further added that he agreed with the decision to withdraw his talk, saying he was only able to reproduce hacks on iPhone X under certain conditions, but that it did not work with iPhone XS and XS Max. Black Hat conference spokeswoman Kimberly Samra said, “Black Hat accepted the talk after believing the hack could be replicated based on the materials provided by the researcher”. According to Apple, there is a one in 1 million chance a random person could unlock a Face ID, and 1 in 50,000 chance that would happen with the iPhone’s fingerprint sensor. Thus, the idea that Face ID could be defeated or rather hacked into is disturbing. Especially because Face ID is used to lock down numerous functions on millions of iPhones which include banking apps, healthcare apps, emails, text messages, photos and much more. If fallen into the wrong hands, the hack could have damaging consequences and possibly compromise sensitive information. Head over to Reuters for more insights on this news. Read Next 7 Black Hat USA 2018 conference cybersecurity training highlights: Hardware attacks, IO campaigns, Threat Hunting, Fuzzing, and more Microsoft calls on governments to regulate Facial recognition tech now, before it is too late DC Airport nabs first imposter using its newly deployed facial recognition security systemlast_img read more