Oldenburg firefighters responded to a blaze near Metamora late Tuesday afternoon.Eagle Fire Co. Fire Chief Kevin Froehling said the chimney fire occurred at the residence of Bob Gibbs on West Fork Road.“Fire was an electrical fire that began in the wall near the fireplace,” the fire chief explained.Froehling noted some smoke damage, however, a quick response limited structural damage to the room the fireplace is located.No injuries were reported.
The Latest: Indiana Hoosiers football team resumes workouts They were initially approved to test procedures ahead of a planned wider re-opening of stadiums in October.The Oval cricket stadium in London has been used as a test for fans returning in the last week.___Formula One driver Sergio Perez says he might have contracted the coronavirus during a trip to Mexico between races in Hungary and Britain.The Racing Point driver tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday and will miss Sunday’s race at Silverstone and another the following week at the same track while in isolation. MotoGP says the races in Argentina, Thailand and Malaysia are off for this year.The series also added a race in Europe. It will take place in November after the race in Valencia. The venue for the additional race is still to be announced.___Britain has reversed course and now says spectators will not be able to attend sporting events in England because the coronavirus infection rate is rising.Fans were due to attend horse racing, cricket and snooker in the coming days as part of pilot events but Prime Minister Boris Johnson says fans will no longer gather at sporting events until at least Aug. 15. “The health and safety of my family has always been the most important thing in my life,” Woods said in a statement. “I love the game of football and will be rooting hard for my teammates this season, and I look forward to rejoining the Jaguars in 2021.”Jaguars coach Doug Marrone says he understands Woods’ decision.“We will fully support any of our players and coaches that choose to opt out this season,” Marrone said. “It is important for every individual to feel comfortable and to believe that they’re doing what’s right for themselves and their family. As an organization, we respect Al’s decision and are fully understanding.”___Three more MotoGP races have been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. The school’s medical advisory group approved the resumption of enhanced voluntary summer training. Players are now permitted to spend up to eight hours per week on strength training, six hours per week on meetings and film review, and six hours per week on walk-throughs.The athletic department says it has conducted 480 tests, with 33 coming back positive. Anyone with a positive result must isolate themselves until further notice, and contact tracing measures are established. Anyone to be found in close contact with the person who tested positive also is quarantined until further notice.___Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Al Woods, who has played for five teams during his 10-year NFL career, is opting out of the 2020 season.The 33-year-old Woods signed a one-year, $2.75 million deal with Jacksonville in free agency. He played for Seattle in 2019. He also spent time with Indianapolis, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay since being drafted in the fourth round in 2010. He has 196 tackles and 5 ½ sacks. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Indiana University’s football team has resumed voluntary workouts after a two-week pause following six positive COVID-19 tests. July 31, 2020 Associated Press Perez says he was visiting his mother in Mexico after she was hospitalized following a “big accident.”Perez says it is “one of the saddest days in my career” missing races “but it just shows how vulnerable we (are) to this virus.”The Mexican used a private jet to fly home and says he has no symptoms.The pandemic delayed the start of the season by more than three months.___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
The President of the Ghana Boxing Federation Peter Zwennes believes the infusion of amateurs into the boxing league will serve as a great foundation to nurture more potential world champions.The League which went on a long break due to a lack of funds has been up and running again since January 31, 2020 following the federations ability to secure sponsorship.“We have started the boxing league once again and thankfully GNPC, ADB and Ghana Gas have come to our aid.“It is the amateurs who feed the professional sport, they are the basis of the sport.“The very essence of having world champions starts from there,” he told Citi Sports.The next date for the boxing league has been set for March 7,2020.