August 2020

first_imgundocumented immigrants Some 1,500 Trinidad and Tobago nationals have been detained following operations to nab undocumented immigrants in several American states in the last week.Since the signing of an executive order by President Donald Trump on January 25, operations by law enforcement officers have been ramped up and at least 50,000 persons have been caught in the Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) dragnet.Trump had campaigned strongly on a ticket to rid the country of millions of illegal immigrants, who he claimed were bleeding the country’s resources and cheating American citizens out of jobs.The Trinidadian nationals are said to have spent from one to 35 years in the country and some are expected to be deported as early as next week.The raids were carried out in New York, Illinois, Georgia, North and South Carolina and California.Officials had said that the raids are targeting persons who are a threat to public safety and the immigration system.last_img read more

A man was found shot to death inside a car early Monday in Miami near Booker T. Washington Senior High School.Miami police were called to a shooting shortly before 4 a.m. near Northwest Seventh Avenue and Northwest 14th StreetOfficers arrived and found the man shot dead in the car.The victim, identified as Darryl Smith, 31, was sitting in the driver’s seat when he was shot.A motive for the shooting was not immediately known.Detectives are now working to find the shooter.Anyone with information is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. read more

first_imgTrinidad and Tobago-born rapper, Nicki Minaj, is one of the few Caribbean celebrities weighing in on the horrific Trumpian immigration policies, which has left thousands of children still separated from their parents in detention centers across the country.Came as an illegal immigrantMinaj recently took to social media to express “horror” at the policy, while admitting that she was brought to the U.S. as an “illegal immigrant” at age five by her parents. “I came to this country as an illegal immigrant @ 5 years old. I can’t imagine the horror of being in a strange place & having my parents stripped away from me at the age of 5,” Minaj wrote on Instagram.The singer born in Saint James, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. “This is so scary to me,” she added. “Can you try to imagine the terror & panic these kids feel right now? Not knowing if their parents are dead or alive, if they’ll ever see them again…”U.S. President Donald Trump last week caved to apparent pressure from his own party and some supporters and last week signed an executive order putting and end to the separation of families at the border under his new zero tolerance policy.  But the order does nothing to help those children who were snatched away from their parents and shepherded around the country into detention centers. Reports indicate the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Health & Human Services are currently on a mad dash to reunite children with parents as over 2,300 remain detained. Bet performance Meanwhile, while Minaj showed her socially conscious side on social media, the rapper was in full performance mode at the BET Awards Sunday night, as she owned the stage when she took over for a sexually-charged performance of “Chun Li.”Adorned in a red latex leotard, after she dropped her red and black, short kimono, Minaj delighted, shocked and in some cases made the audience plain uncomfortable, with her “Rich Sex” performance that ended with her getting on top of a life-sized fake pink horse, crawling around on all fours, and spreading her legs on stage.   Minaj, who was nominated for Best Female Hip Hop Artist at the 2018 BET Awards, lost to rival, Caribbean roots rapper, Cardi B.last_img read more

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Finance Minister Dr. Nigel Clarke on Thursday announced that  businessman Richard Byles has been selected as the new governor of the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ).“In January of this year, I appointed a Search Committee chaired by Mr David Marston to lead an open and transparent search for a new Central Bank governor. I’m very pleased that the search process has yielded an eminently qualified, experienced and credible leader in Mr. Richard Byles to succeed Mr Brian Wynter as Governor of the Bank of Jamaica,” said Clarke.Byles, who will succeed Governor Brian Wynter as Governor on August 19, has had a 40-year career in business and finance and is an accomplished corporate leader.He was appointed Managing Director of Pan Caribbean Merchant Bank in 1988 before his appointment as CEO of the Pan Jam group, a leading, diversified conglomerate in 1991.He led Pan Jam for 13 years before taking over as CEO of Sagicor Jamaica in 2004.Byles retired as CEO of Sagicor Jamaica in 2017 and was appointed non-executive Chairman in that same year.In addition, Byles has been Chairman of Red Stripe and a non-executive Director of several other companies.He was Co-Chair of the Economic Programme Oversight Committee formed to monitor Jamaica’s performance under its agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).“I have every confidence that Byles will bring to the job of Governor the focused, principled and disciplined leadership that has characterized his career,” Clarke said.The finance minister says a BOJ subcommittee, led by BOJ General Counsel Karen Chin Quee Akin, has been appointed to assist Byles in the transition including complying with BOJ governance requirements.last_img read more

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica – As if being crowned Miss World 2019 wasn’t enough for Jamaican-born Toni-Ann Singh, the dynamic 23-year-old can now add “Recording Artist” to her list of titles.Singh’s first official single, a rendition of Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” was released on December 21 following her “Welcome Home” Press Conference in Jamaica. The single was released through the Beauty With A Purpose Organization, the charitable arm of Miss World.The rendition of the classic Whitney Houston single is the same cover that secured her a place in the top 40 of the Miss World competition on December 14. By winning the talent competition and further impressing judges during the question and answer round, Singh advanced to the final round where she was the clear favourite to take home the crown.Following her win, host Piers Morgan asked if she would ever consider a career in music, and Singh replied, “if the door is open, I’ll walk through it”.Music has always been part of Toni-Ann’s life. As a child, she was part of the choir at the Andrew’s Memorial Seventh Day Adventist Church in Kingston and a regular talent on the local children’s Christian program, Kids Time Praise.She also took piano lessons and studied classical music as a child; and according to her cousin, in her teens, Singh reportedly released two gospel albums.All proceeds from Toni-Ann’s single will go Beauty With A Purpose’s charity projects.Toni-Ann Singh is the Jamaican to win Miss World. The other three are Carole Crawford, Cindy Breakspear and Lisa Hanna who won the crown in 1963, 1976 and 1993 respectively.Listen to her charity single below:last_img read more

first_imgWashington, D.C. – As chair of the bipartisan Florida Ports Caucus and a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson applauded the U.S. Department of Transportation’s decision to award a $43.9 million to PortMiami.The grant will support the construction of a fumigation and cold chain processing facility, as well as other infrastructure projects including pavement repairs, stormwater and drainage upgrades, and enhancements to support refrigerated containers.“Congratulations PortMiami for winning a $44 million grant to support the construction of a fumigation facility and other infrastructure. This is something I have long advocated for and am pleased that the department of transportation is making this much-needed investment in our community.”Today’s announcement is the culmination of a years-long effort to improve PortMiami’s infrastructure and competitiveness in processing perishable commodities such as flowers.In September 2019, Congresswoman Wilson joined Congresswomen Donna Shalala and Debbie Mucarsel-Powell in supporting PortMiami’s application in a letter to DOT Secretary Elaine Chao.Moreover, as chair of the bipartisan Florida Ports Caucus, Congresswoman Wilson convened several meetings with colleagues, federal officials, port officials, and other stakeholders, led several letters, and supported legislation to help address the competitive disadvantage PortMiami faced because of disproportionate and unfair USDA fumigation fees and other infrastructure constraints.Congresswoman Wilson will continue to champion issues affecting PortMiami and all other Florida ports.Indisputably, these 15 public seaports serve our state as an economic engine that we cannot take for granted, generating more than 900,000 jobs and $100 billion in economic activity.last_img read more

first_imgHAMILTON, Bermuda, CMC – President of the Bermuda National Athletics Association (BNAA) Donna Raynor says next month’s Carifta Games, which are set to attract more than 600 athletes from 27 Caribbean countries, should not be affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) that is spreading across the globe.The virus has reached non-English speaking Caribbean countries, with a few cases in the Dominican Republic, Martinique, Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy.The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, slated for July 24 to August 9, are under threat due to the spread of COVID-19 globally.But as Bermuda prepares to host the 49th Carifta Games – the fifth time the island will be the location for the event – Raynor said she did not expect the COVID-19 situation would disrupt the staging.“As of now, all systems are go for Carifta, the countries are having their final trials…and we’re all moving ahead as if it is going to take place,” she told the Royal Gazette newspaper.Raynor added that the matter was addressed at a recent meeting of the local organizing committee (LOC).“Fortunately for us, most of the athletes are coming in from the Caribbean and flying in on charters, not flying through the United States…. We’re just really keeping our fingers crossed that we can get through the next couple of weeks and that Carifta is on,” Raynor said, adding that she was hoping none of the countries would pull out of the April 10-13 games.“I just want to have the event, we’ve put a lot of work into it and are ready to go. Hopefully we can get Carifta off the ground.”The BNAA will this weekend host a two-day trial meet at the National Sports Centre which is the venue for the Carifta Games. It will be the final opportunity for local athletes to reach qualifying standards ahead of the March 16 deadline.The Games, held under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and the North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association (NACAC), features 150 separate events.Meantime, the International Triathlon Union has confirmed that the April 18-19 MS Amlin World Triathlon Bermuda will go ahead as planned.The Bermuda event is the next on the seven-series circuit that will culminate in the World Championships and Grand Finals in Edmonton, Canada in August. The 2020 Carifta Games will be staged between April 10 and 13.last_img read more

first_img Broward County reported 473 additional confirmed case of the disease and one new death. The county now has 12,217 known cases and 378 deaths. Florida again shattered its daily COVID-19 record with 5,508 additional cases of COVID-19 confirmed today. The state now has a total of 109,014 confirmed cases. Previously, the highest daily total of newly confirmed cases was on Saturday, with 4,049. There were also 44 new deaths announced Wednesday, raising the statewide death toll to 3,281. There have been varying numbers reported in the media relating to this week’s COVID-19 cases. Alberto Moscoso, a spokesman for Florida’s Department of Health, confirmed to the Miami Herald that there were discrepancies noted in Tuesday’s total number of cases and deaths, resulting in the confusion. South Florida, excluded from phase two reopening, still remains ground zero. Here are the numbers below: The Florida Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard has confirmed to correct numbers.  Palm Beach County saw 356 additional confirmed cases and six new deaths. The county now has a total of 11,536 known cases and 482 deaths.  Miami-Dade County reported 957 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 24 new deaths. The county now has a total of 27,779 confirmed cases and 926 deaths, the highest in the state.  Monroe County reported eight additional cases of the disease and no new deaths. The Florida Keys now have a total of 174 confirmed cases and four deaths.last_img read more

first_imgEverton manager, Ronald Koeman has confirmed that Ross Barkley is expected to leave the Merseyside Club this transfer window, but there are no offers for the Englishman yet.The 23-year-old midfielder has one year left on his current Everton deal and has rejected a new contract offer, saying he wants a “new challenge”.Speaking ahead of Everton’s Europa League qualifying match against Ruzomberok on Thursday, Koeman said: “His personal situation is not so difficult. We made a really good offer to sign a new contract, he declined that contract and told me he’s looking for a new challenge.” “It’s his decision. I need to respect that and we’ll see what happens, because I heard from the board that there’s not really an offer on the table for Ross.” Barkley is currently out of Everton’s pre-season activities due to a surgery on his injured groin, with reports suggesting Tottenham are interested in the English International.RelatedDiego LaxaltJune 30, 2017Similar post”I Did Not Undertake A Medical With” Chelsea – Ross BarkleySeptember 2, 2017In “England”Barkley Secures Dream Move To Premier League Champions ChelseaJanuary 5, 2018In “England”last_img read more

first_imgRelatedVIDEO: Watch Floyd Mayweather Claim McGregor Is “Extremely Heavy”, Won’t “Make The Weight”August 22, 2017In “Sports”Mayweather v McGregor: Fight Will End Early And “Won’t Go The Distance”, Says MayweatherAugust 11, 2017In “Sports”VIDEO: Watch Jose Mourinho Give His Verdict On Mayweather Vs McGregor FightAugust 25, 2017In “Sports” The World Boxing Council (WBC) has created a special ‘Money’ belt ahead of the much-publicized bout involving Floyd Mayweather and Conor Mcgregor in Las Vegas.The belt contains 3,360 diamonds, 600 sapphires, 160 emeralds, approximately 3.3 pounds of 24-karat gold, alligator leather strap, and it also features the names of both combatants.The fight will be held under boxing rules, which on the surface provides an advantage to Mayweather and a huge challenge for mixed martial artists McGregor.The pair will make use of the approved use of 8oz gloves. Robert Byrd will be the referee for the fight, while Burt Clements, Dave Moretti, and Guido Cavalieri serve as judges.Each man would earn around one hundred million dollars ($100m); and will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada on August 26, 2017.last_img read more